The Fair Lawn Recreation Facility Committee has embarked on a project to revitalize the Borough's Sponsor-A-Park program. The intent of the program is to involve fraternal and business organizations, scout troops and interested citizens to participate in the Sponsor-A-Park Program.
Participation in this program helps the Borough's Recreation/Parks Department promote community pride in our public parks by getting involved in activities including maintenance and beautification projects.
In sponsoring a park, the group commits to a periodic clean up and reports any vandalism or safety problems encountered at their chosen park. A sign will be posted at the park recognizing the groups contribution to helping the Parks/Recreation Department in making Fair Lawn a cleaner and safer place for all to enjoy. In addition, the Mayor and Council will recognize the participants.
The Sponsor-a-Park Program consists of the following guidelines:
- 2 year commitment
- Group goes to the park once a month to inspect the site and collect any debris that may have been left behind.
- Assist in raking/spreading of rubber mulch (safety surface) at playground stenches.
- Assisting in painting of park benches or assembly of benches.
- Offer suggestions of improvements.
- Planting of flowers/plants, shrubs, etc.
- Donation of funds for equipment or materials (e.g. flowers). OPTIONAL
- Contact neighbors of the surrounding parks to obtain possible assistance in keeping parks clean and prevent vandalism. This will help develop "pride in our parks".
- Each group that adopts a Borough park would be covered under the Borough's Volunteer Insurance coverage when their group does their scheduled monthly parks tour.
- All groups would coordinate with Jim Graff, Superintendent of Recreation/Parks Department for scheduling, inspection repairs, approval of special projects and coordination of parks personnel assistance.
Parks that currently have been sponsored:
- Building "Pride In Our Parks".
- Pride in the local neighborhood.
- Pride and accomplishment among your group.
- Recognition of a sign stating your group has adopted a park.
- Recognition by Mayor and Council and Fair Lawn residents.
- A yearly Sponsor-A-Park BBQ at Memorial Pool for all Sponsor-A-Park groups.
Parks that need to be sponsored:
- Berdan Grove - Sunrise Rotary
- Beaver Dam - Rotary PM
- Gregory - Chamber of Commerce
- Cresthill - Knights of Pythias
- Center Rec
- Warren Point Annex
- Dobrow Complex (Columbia Terrace)
The Recreation/Parks Department is also beginning to institute an Sponsor-A-Bench Program in which residents can purchase a bench in the Borough parks in honor/memory of an individual.
Suggested items that individual, organizations, businesses would like to purchase for a park (plate with donation named).
- Park bench with center seat with durawood beams - $900.00
For more information about the Borough's Sponsor-A-Park Program call Jim Graff, Superintendent of Recreation/Parks at (201) 796-6746 or e-mail: email@example.com.
Sponsor-A-Bench Brochue: FAIR_LAWN_SPONSOR-A-BENCH.pdf